- Issue Time
Whether you’re a makeup expert or a novice just getting your grips with the stuff, we could all use a few handy tips for perfect eye makeup application. Below is the ultimate list of tips, tricks, and technique for nailing any eye makeup look you choose to take on.
1. Hold your eye makeup brush in the middle of the handle.
Holding your brush closer to the bristles will make your look too harsh, and holding it too close to the end will make it harder for you to control where you’re placing the shadow. Right in the middle is the best place to to hold it.
2. Apply a white eyeshadow onto your eyelid to make brighter eyeshadow colours pop.
The white eyeshadow base will make colours like pink, green, and orange more vibrant when applied over top.
3. Darker colours should be applied on the outer corner of the eye, while lighter colours should be applied to the inner corner.
As a general rule, if you want to make your eyes appear larger and more almond-shaped, you should apply darker colours to the outer corner of your eye and work backwards; applying lighter shades to the inner third of your eye, finishing with a highlighter next to your tear duct.
4. Don’t forget to apply eyeshadow to the area below your eye.
This is just as important for pulling together your look. Use whatever shade you used on your crease for this area.
5. Eyelash curlers make all the difference.
Invest in a good eyelash curler and your lashes will look amazing no matter what mascara you’re using. My favourite is the Charming Bay Lashes.
6. In a pinch, you can make your own eyeliner by dampening a crease brush and dipping it in some black eyeshadow.
Sometime softer looks are nicer, and this look can be gently smudged to add some subtle sexiness.
7. Line your waterline with a skin coloured eyeliner pencil to make your eyes look more awake.
Fake 8 hours of sleep with a good flesh-coloured kohl along your lower lash line.
8. Angle your mascara brush outwards when applying for a sultry, winged-out effect.
Avoid coating your inner lashes and concentrate product towards the outer lashes, hooking them and lifting them outwards.
9. Use a stencil to nail your winger eyeliner.
There are loads of handy tutorials online that show you how easy it is to do winged eyeliner using a stencil; but our favourites are probably Sellotape and a business card, both of which will give you that sharp, straight edge. Wings on fleek every time!
10. Messily apply kohl to your lower lash line, let set, then gently wipe off with a cotton bud soaked in micellar water.
Why you ask? Because it makes a lovely, subtle no-makeup eyeliner effect that works because the remains of the kohl will still be lingering at the base of your lashes.
11. Clear mascara is your best friend.
Use it on your lashes and your brows.
12. Is your favourite mascara not waterproof?
Never fear! NYX has you sorted with their waterproof topcoat that you can apply over your usual mascara to keep it in place come rain or uh, more rain.
13. Warm up kohl to make sure it applies seamlessly.
If it feels too firm, warming it up using a lighter or match will help soften it.